Elder Uba Ina Obasi is a seasoned Engineer, Technocrat, Philanthropist, Community and Religious Leader. He has got a wealth of experience spanning about 30 years in the Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) sector with various achievements. He is one of the sons of Late Chief Ina and Chief (Mrs) Tai E. Obasi of the acclaimed Obasi Brothers family in Abiriba, Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State.
He attended Constitution Crescent Primary School, Aba where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate. He proceeded to Government College, Umuahia and then Federal Government College, Port Harcourt where he obtained the West African School Certificate (GCE O’ Level). He attended IMT Enugu, where he got Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Chemical Engineering and later, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) where he secured BEng Chemical Engineering. He proceeded to University of Bradford, and University of Huddersfield, both in England where he acquired MSc Chemical Engineering and MPhil for the design of an air motor valve actuation system for the Oil and Gas Industry respectively. He is also an alumnus of Lagos Business School, acquiring Advanced Management Program certification (AMP 25) and London Business School, acquiring Senior Executive Program (SEP 90).
Elder Uba Obasi is currently an Executive Director of Alcon Nigeria Limited, an EPC company based in Port Harcourt and has worked in various capacities such as:
• Site Coordinator, Oil Field EPC flow station upgrade
• Manager, Oil Field EPC Services
• Senior Manager, EPC Services
• Director, EPC Services
• General Manager, Corporate Services
• Executive Director, Corporate Services and Strategic Initiative
• Executive Director, Manufacturing and New Investment Ventures
• Executive Director, Manufacturing and Services
He also has worked with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) as Trainee Petroleum Engineer; Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as Inspector; I.E.A (Soap & Detergent) Limited as Trainee Process Plant Engineer, and Michelin Nigeria Limited as Laboratory Technician.
He was the previous chairman of Rivers State Internal Revenue Service (RiRS) Committee for the tax harmonisation of Informal Sector Tax Collection on behalf of the State Revenue Board Executive Chairman in 2019. He is also a serving member, Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission Port Harcourt (NERC PH) Forum.
He is a member of the following professional bodies:
• Affiliate member, Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
• Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
• Member Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE)
• Member, Institute of Directors, Nigeria (IoD)
• Member, Society for Corporate Governance, Nigeria
• National Council member and Treasurer, Rivers/Bayelsa Branch, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN)
He has served as a leader in various fields of endeavor as follows:
• Ruling Elder Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2006 till date)
• BOD member, Alcon Nigeria Limited (2009 till date)
• BOT member, Erim-Ena Ezi Enyi (currently)
• BOT member, Ntum Oha Development Initiative (currently)
• Chairman, Constitution Review Committee, Ntum Oha Development Initiative (2018)
• Chairman, Ntum Oha Development Initiative 20th Anniversary Celebration (2019)
He has bagged the following awards amongst others:
• Erinma Age Grade Platinum award (2015)
• Emerging Leaders of Abiriba Enachioken awards as AKPARAWA ENA by The Enachioken-in-Council (2019)
• Model Elder of the Oyigbo Central Parish of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2008)
• Award for Excellence (Pillar of Faith) by the South Central Synodical Women’s Guild of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2010)
• Ambassador of Christ award by the Orlu Parish of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2010)
• PYPAN-CWC Award of Honour (2015)
• Woji Parish MCA Father of the Year award of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2015)
• Woji Parish of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria Epitome of Kindness award (2016)
• HOPE WADDELL Leadership Award As MCA PATRIARCH of The Prebyterian Church of Nigeria by The MCA-CWC (2021)
• Exemplary Presbyterian award by the Mission Hill Parish, Umuahia of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (2022)
He served as Session Clerk, Board Chairman and Elder Commissioner of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria, Woji Parish. He is also a founding/frontline member of Erinma Age Grade of Abiriba that completed and handed over the High Court to the community in 2014, as well as a BOT member of Erim-Ena EziEnyi that recently built and handed over the Doctor’s Quarters within the year 2019. He is also a pioneer member of Ntum Oha Development Initiative, an Abiriba pressure group (since 1999) and an active member of ACIU PH.
Elder Uba is a Philanthropist that believes and practices the true Christian virtue of being his brother’s keeper. He is married to Elder (Mrs) Comfort Uba Obasi nee Nnana Kalu and they are blessed with Tai and Ina plus other wards under their care and mentorship.